English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Tuesday 17 January 2006

I'm loyal to the Motherland, but America is quite nice too

Hah. My dad will be calling me in 5 minutes, just you watch.

So I've lived most of my life in the States, which is not unusual for a US citizen. But it's funny the things you notice after being gone for a little while. Here are the things I noticed and appreciated during my visit back home. (Note: I realize that I was visiting Mormonville but that's not what this post is about. Rest assured, though, that there were lots of churches and SUVs and Aryan poster-children all over the place.)

Things I Noticed and Appreciated:

Drinking fountains

Honda Civics and other not-hatchbacks

Houses with grass on all four sides

Sunshine

Dry cold, which is pretty much a tropical vacation compared to damp cold

Being able to say "crap" every other sentence if I felt like it, which I sort of did. 'Twas very freeing.

Refrigerators you could park an entire English car in

Seeing gallon jugs of milk in the fridge--4 of them

Seeing 3 tubs of Dryers in the freezer

Dad's chocolate milkshakes and microwave popcorn

Ice cream shops, where I could go and get a double-scoop ice cream cone at the exact second I decided that I wanted one. Granted, I never did this, because I didn't have to with all that Dryers in the freezer, but still. People have heard my opinions on the lack of ice cream shops in England. (In WR's words, "Oh. So you're still on that, then.")

Fleming's steakhouse, where my parents took me for dinner because they love me--and because my dad loves steak

Coney's Frozen Custard with Daltongirl

Fry sauce

All-you-can-eat sushi for $12.95 with Cicada and Redlaw. Mmmm . . . Vegas rolls . . .

AmyJane, Redlaw, Daltongirl, Foodie, Kristen, AA, Panini, Cicada, Mistress of Mayhem, Jaime, and all the delightful people I got to see. I am not going to mention the undelightful people, because I've done that once already.

Hearing my 22-month-old niece announce that she farted. Her mother and I both started laughing, which made her say it more. "I FAR-ted. I far-ted. FAR-ted, Momma!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites