English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 22 January 2007

Not sure I'm convinced

It is good to be reminded occasionally that the good ones are not, in fact, all taken. Thanks, for the link, Chantel!

Otherwise I'd be tempted to slit my wrists sometimes. Saturday night was one of those times. My sister Spitfire's (male) friend got together a group to attend USU's "Poetry and a Beverage" Night. Turns out this is where large groups of people go and kind of listen to performers but mostly play games at their table while flirting and drinking hot chocolate.

I drank hot chocolate but can't say I got any flirting in, on account of nearly everyone who turned up was already married. Now, I would never go so far as to say that a seat occupied by a married person is a seat wasted, except I kind of just did say it. Woops.

Before all my married friends rise up and kill me, please let me say that I love you and I love spending time with you. I like meeting nice/funny/interesting folks, be they married or single. But when I'm going to an event looking to meet people, that is actually my SuperSecret Code for "meet single people." Single guys, to be exact. And while your husbands may be fabulous, they are of absolutely no use to me in such a situation. Nor would you wish them to be.

And I realize that the marrieds can't be home swinging from chandeliers all the time and they deserve a night out with fun people just as much as anyone. I do, really. It's just that here's what happened:

I'm pretty sure there were about 7 handsome, witty, nice single men who were going to come to Poetryandabeverage. Only then the married people took their spots and they didn't come. This left me with the 8th man, who:

1. Is writing a book about women and dating. His only words to describe it were "hilarious" and "really hilarious." I remain unconvinced.
2. Absolutely had to bring up sex every time he spoke.

(Note: I am not referring to my sister's friend, who seemed very nice and normal. But I wasn't sitting anywhere near him.)

I find it depressing to note that the best conversations I had that night were with the married guys. They were nice and funny and asked me about myself. Best of all, they refrained from shouting out the words of "erectile dysfunction" at random moments during the evening.

Does anyone else find this fair?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites