English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Wednesday 17 January 2007

If you don't run you won't win

It's only that line (guess which movie and you win 10 points) that gets me through nights like tonight. If I'd had my way, I would have gone to yoga tonight with my sister, come home and eaten something healthy, and then curled up with a book. But because I am trying to be One Who Makes an Effort, I left work early, rushed home to put on warm clothing, and traveled 40 minutes to some ski lodge for an activity the singles ward was hosting. I didn't ski because I've only done that once and it is really, really cold. This was okay because there were games and movies and food in the lodge for the non-outdoor-venturers.

Thing is, I didn't know anyone. I drove up w/my roommate and her bf, but they went sledding. There were loads of people there, and everyone was sort of in clumps of friends. So it's not like there was some main activity that you could just join in. Even if I'd known one other person there it would have been better. So I chatted with people and did my best, but that is really not my optimum social situation. I got in on a game of Apples to Apples with a table of people, but it turns out that none of them are in my ward so I'm probably never going to see any of them again. I spoke with 4 boys:

I chatted briefly with a guy during the game
I offered a plastic spoon to guy behind me in the spoon line
I asked a guy what time it was, just before his girlfriend came over
I said hello to the stalker in response to his eventual greeting, just as I was leaving

So . . . yeah. If anyone ever tries to tell me that I just Don't Make an Effort, they're going to get a kick in the teeth from me. Because if I had things my way I would just order Jim Halpert from a catalog and he would come right to my home, where I would be warm and cozy and doing things that I want to be doing and not freezing my tail off getting ignored in some barn.


I'm just sayin'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites