English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Wednesday 13 February 2008

Feeling better about my own resume all the time

I'm collecting resumes at work for a part-time position. So far I've received about 3,475,011. Because it looks like everyone wants to work at a library. I wondered how I was going to be able to weed them down to an acceptable number, but as soon as I started looking at the resumes I realized that some people are going to make it very easy for me to remove theirs from the pile.

Here are some of the things I'm learning. May they be helpful to you in your own job searches.

If you hand-deliver your resume, it's a good idea to wear something semi-nice. And to be polite. Also, in this case it's actually a good idea to drop it off in person, because if we get a good impression of you then we write a little note on the resume before adding it to the 6-ton filing folder.

You don't lose points for not writing a cover letter or using nice paper. But those things do earn extra points and make your resume stand out favorably. I guess I'm shallow like that.

When I tell you that you need to bring in a resume, giving me a deer-in-the-headlights stare and telling me you don't have one is not a good idea. Because I'm not actually going to waive that.

Each section of your resume does not need its own page--if your resume is 4 pages or longer it had better be because you have 45 years of relevant experience, including Queen of the World.

Please do not use more than 6 different fonts in a resume. It makes my brain leak out my ears. Also? White space can be very important in contributing to the overall look and readability of your resume. Please try to include some.

On the subject of font and eye strain, something larger than 8 point is preferable, thank you. As much as I love me some sexy librarian glasses, I prefer to wear them for cosmetic reasons--not because I actually need them.

I am so over that generic Objectives section. Just scratch that. It adds nothing.

You might want to consider a grown-up email address. Something with the word "whatever" in it does not give me great confidence in your work ethic. Neither does "lazy," "sexy," or anything to do with pop music stars.

Your resume should not include adhesive tape, white-out, edits written in pen, or any combination of these things.

Please do not submit a photocopy of the resume you created 20 years ago, even if you took the time to fill in your current information with pen and post-it notes. Yes, I'm sure you did get rid of your computer and printer when you moved, but I'm betting you could have figured something out.

Anybody have any others?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites