English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Friday 5 December 2008

Yay, it's going to be Christmas

GH and I just picked out and set up our beautiful, beautiful tree. When we walked onto the lot I asked one of the employees what the pricing scale is and he said it depends. So I pointed to the nearest tree (about 7 feet high) and said "Okay, how much would that tree be then?" He answered, "I would say about $63 for that tree, but it's negotiable."

Okay. Sixty-three dollars? Seriously?? Anyone want to take any guesses about where on earth he was pulling $63 out of? Nothing even adds up to 63! And for a 7-foot tree???

"Yeah, okay then, where would the $30 trees be?"
"Oh, those are in the back and to the left, but everything's up for discussion."
"Uh huh."

Later two other employees found us and said that their colleague was new and basically talking out his ear--that those nice big trees were actually $39. So I told them I loved those trees but I only had $30 to spend. And they said we could have one as long as we tell 5 friends. I'm going to go above and beyond though and tell the WORLD. Check out the Christmas tree lot at 1128 E Fort Union Boulevard in the Ross/Michael's parking lot. You can talk them down, and they'll tie the thing on your car for you.

Now that my duty is finished, let us speak of Christmas movies. I would like to make some suggestions that are not part of the usual roundup. Do not even get me started with White Christmas and their odd songs about liverwurst and generals, because you just don't want that.

Here is my list:

Joyeux Noel. I saw this for the first time last year and love, love, love it. It's about the temporary Christmas truce between British, French, and German troops during WWI. Have Kleenex handy, and be ready to fastforward over Diane Kruger's boobies if you don't actually need them to be a part of your festivities. (Also, Amazon may try to tell you it's rated R but it's really not, they're on crack. It's PG-13.)


Under the Greenwood Tree. It opens on Christmas Eve in 1870s England with the Christmas-caroling Dick Dewey getting his first glimpse of the new village schoolmistress and falling into deep smit. Heady, heady stuff.


The Muppet Christmas Carol. You probably already know about this one and watch it every year, but whatever, it's my blog. I'm including it. Keep an eye out for the part where Beaker flips off Scrooge. You know, if you're 12 like I am.


Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. Remember that one time when Harry Potter was little and cute and didn't go up on stage nekkid to stab horses? Yeah, me too. The Christmas scenes in this movie, especially when he sees his parents in the mirror of Erised, are so sweet.


Meet Me in St. Louis. You just try watching Judy Garland sing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas on Christmas Eve to her sad little sister without losing it. Try.


Little Women. It'll make you want to go awassailling, especially if Laurie (Christian Bale) is along for the ride. Just be sure you take some ibuprofin about 1 hour in so that when Beth dies you don't get a motherawful headache trying keep the tears back, gentlemen.


Love Actually. I saw a Cleanflicks version of this film and they hacked it all to pieces. I need to give it another go, if only because look who all's in it! Seriously!


And here two alternative Christmas movies that did not make the cut.

Gremlins. I can't actually watch this movie because it traumatized me as a child. And my sister Jenny can't watch it either because I used to creep up over the edge of her bunkbed in the middle of the night while making Gremlin sounds. So, you know, we're both victims here.

I know everyone puts the first Die Hard on these lists, but I say whatever to that. The only reason I would watch that movie would be for Alan Rickman, He Who Uplifts and Betters All Things.

Does anyone have any others to add to the list of must-sees?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites