English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Wednesday 10 December 2008

My helpmeet

GH is glorying in the winter citrus season, with its bevy of navel oranges and clementines and tangerines and the resultant lack of scurvy. So yesterday at my lover the Sunflower Farmer's Market, I found something fun and brought it home.

"Check it out, I got us tangelos!"

"Do they have seeds?"

"I don't know. They're a cross between an orange and a tangerine."

"I know that, but do they have seeds?"

"Does it really make a difference?"

"I don't want to bother if they have seeds."

"But you really like oranges, I thought."

"I do. But it's not worth it if I have to deal with seeds."

"You know, it's a good thing you weren't one of our evolutionary ancestors. I can just see you, lounging in a cave somewhere . . . 'Ugh, but I'd have to chase it . . . Meh, I just won't eat.'"

"Actually, I'd given up oranges entirely because of the peeling thing. But then I discovered those peeler tools and bought a really great bag of oranges at Lee's last Christmas. Then I was back on."

Only then he flipped it around later when I didn't want to finish the tangelo because it turns out that the skin around the segments was really thick and tough and hard to chew and reminded me of sunburned peeled bits of human skin.

As if that's even the same thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites