English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 8 December 2008

Since we're a literary crowd here

And since you all gave me so many great ideas of even more Christmas movies to get acquainted with, let's tackle Christmas books as well! Right now I'm mostly thinking of chapter books because there are waaaaay too many Christmas picture books to mention, but feel free to toss your faves out there.

Here's my list, and I'm sorry there are no links or pictures, I'm rushed for time today:

The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, duh.

The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Dog by Dave Barry. Was just recommended this one by a colleague and enjoyed it. GH and I read it aloud in 2 nights, so it's not too long. Only while reading I started to be able to tell that just maybe a beloved pet dog is going to die, and I warned GH that if this indeed happened he would have to take over because I can't be keeping it together when beloved dogs die in books. I did okay, though.

Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher. Did this in book club last year and thought it was nice. Not great, but a sweet read about people who wind up spending Christmas together. And it's set in England, so, you know, bonus.

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris. It's worth reading if only for the essay about being a Christmas elf at a huge department store during the holidays.

The Little House books have great Christmas chapters in them, so they've actually put out a book called A Little House Christmas Treasury. It would probably be good for me to reread about how Laura and Mary were just beyond thrilled to get such small Christmas presents. "Oh my gosh, a tin cup for my very own! Holy crap, an orange!!!!"

Unplug the Christmas Machine by by Jo Robinson and Jean C. Staeheli, in case you're getting overwhelmed. (Or don't want to get overwhelmed.)

Nothing by Richard Paul Evans. Sorry, not my scene.

Haven't read, but want to:

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (hear it's much, much better than the steaming pile that was the movie, which I didn't see)

The Life and Adventures of Santa Clause by L. Frank Baum (of Wizard of Oz fame)

And that's all I have. Anyone want to help me out?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites