English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Friday 16 March 2007

Names are funny

Not mine, obviously. Mine is tasteful and classic. Both my real name and my Internet name are. My one main rule when it comes to baby names is this: If they can't be taken seriously as a successful cutthroat lawyer with that name, it's out. This especially applies for girls. My other rule is that I can't tell any of you vultures which names I like because you'll steal them. (Example: I have wanted to name a son Aidan since 1993. Like that's gonna happen now. Jerks.)

It was fun to see the difference in names out in England. I met darling little boys named Thomas and Henry. I met girls named Sian (pronounced "Shawn"). I met people with 2 or 3 middle names. And I found out what the Brits think of some of our names. One lady was completely thrown by the name Amber and wanted to know if that was actually really a popular name in the States. Which, oh my, yes. I must've had at least one Amber in every class growing up.

One English friend started dating an American fellow named Randy. WR could not hear his name mentioned without collapsing into giggles. I will never think of that name the same way again. Also, hope that when WR is a hotshot lawyer he has to represent someone with that name. Because that'll be awesome.

Once I mentioned how much I'd liked the name Aidan to an English friend and if I remember correctly his response was, "Why would you want to go 'round giving your children Irish names?" Because it turns out that my friend was racist. This might have been the same friend who was racist against Scottish people and called Braveheart "Scottish propaganda." If so, you know who you are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites