English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 7 August 2006

I could go undercover if I needed to

A few weeks ago during church a girl was talking about her mission and about a fellow missionary whose positive attitude had a good influence on her. In her words: "He was most definitely an American. He had the huge smile with the really white teeth."

This made me think, "Huh. How come they automatically assume that having white teeth is an American thing?" Also, "Oooh, that reminds me. Must get bleaching trays out--it's been a while."

This week there was a guy visiting who had served here as a missionary 20 years ago, so people were all excited to see him. He got up and bore his testimony and was very sweet, even if he was a total bawl-baby. A bit later in the meeting a woman got up and as soon as I saw her I knew she had to be his wife. Everything about her screamed "American! American! Native to or possibly just influenced by the Mormon fashion trends of Utah or California!"

She had very tan skin, very white teeth, and very blond highlighted hair. Her haircut was the one that's parted on the side and back-combed a little bit and flat-ironed, about shoulder-length. I've seen it on hundreds of girls in my singles ward and I've probably had it at some point. She was wearing a very cute white knee-length skirt--likely from the Gap or Nordstrom, and a dark denim top. Also she ratted her husband out and said that he started bawling in the car on the way up. I think she used the words "became quite tender and emotional" instead but we all know what she meant, and I think it's lucky he didn't wreck their car if he was all blubbering at the wheel like that.

After the meeting I was chatting with two girlfriends and we talked about how funny it was that you could immediately pick this lady out as an American. My friend S said, "Oh yeah, I saw her in the hall and knew right away." I said that she pretty much looks like the Trendy Mormon Mom. S tactfully wondered if American Mormon Moms feel a lot of pressure to look a certain way, if that's the standard that's being held up. I think a lot of them do, but I don't think it's something that every woman worries about.

I asked if people can automatically pick me out as an American. They said no, because I've got that rosy English kind of complexion. So yay for freckles and British ancestry! My teeth would give me away though.

Thing is, whether or not they have bleached teeth, the English girls are gorgeous. They really are. Their skin is beautiful and they have great hair. They dress well without being hung up about everything matching and coordinating perfectly. And there are the accents. My friends laughed when I told them that when we Americans watch English films we think they sound so sophisticated. S pointed out that most of the stuff we get in the US is about sophisticated Jane-Austen type women with lovely accents.

True point. We don't really watch Eastenders in the States. If we did it would likely cure us of the English-accent worship.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites