English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Saturday 8 October 2005

Well, at least they warn you

On the day of my department orientation, one of the lecturers told us that we would pretty much be taken out back and shot if our cell phones ever, ever ring in class or anywhere else in the department. At the very least, we will be verbally attacked and publicly humiliated in front of all of our peers.

Now, this is a system I can agree with. After the horrific experience during Camelot at the Shakespearean Festival this summer, I'm through with mercy. And, of course, some girl's cell phone went off right after the lecturer finished saying that, but the lecturer cut her a break since it was orientation. I was disappointed, though. I had my torch out and everything.

My point is that so far the Brits seem very good about warning people regarding the painful and bloody consequences of their choices. I just didn't realize that this extended so far as to apply to expiration dates on food. Turns out, it does.

Last week I bought 1.38 Liters of milk. And no, I have no idea why it's that size, so don't ask. I used it every morning on my cereal (including yesterday) and things were going great. The "use by" date on the label was October 7th. This morning, it being October 8th, I thought, "Hey, I'd better finish up that milk today, since it's going to go bad soon." I went downstairs, got myself a bowl of Sultana Bran Flakes, and proceeded to pour what could only be called yogurt all over them. Seems they're not kidding when they slap those labels on there. You have until the stroke of midnight, and then BAM! My landlady did say that it's unusual for my milk to have gone bad quickly, and that usually you have a bit more leeway.

Only I'm not going to wait around for THAT to happen again. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go put my bread in the freezer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites