English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Friday 9 January 2009

SLA update

So I know that normally this time of year I would be writing all about the new Masterpiece Classic season and getting on here with heaving bosom to talk about my new British boyfriend, but here's the thing: They started with Tess of the D'urbervilles.

Because they want us all to watch it, stand up, walk to the bathroom, stick our heads in our toilets, and drown ourselves in despair. (Which, by the way, means we'll miss the rest of the season. Way to plan that lineup, PBS.)


It's just that I hate that story. Hate, hate, hate. It's so depressing, it makes Jude the Obscure look like a frothy romcom starring Kate Hudson. I tried to watch it this week but about 20 minutes in I had to turn it off because I knew what was coming. I mean seriously, this poor girl. She has absolutely no chance for happiness because the men around her insist on either 1) raping and impregnating her, 2) refusing to baptize her illigitimate rape-baby when it dies, or 3) marrying her and then abandoning her off when she turns out to be "impure."
I can't take it. If I want to be that depressed about the state of women I'll go watch reality TV. Or Bride Wars.
I'll write more when they move on to Wuthering Heights (yet another feel-good crowd-pleaser).

(But ps. Laura Linney is doing a much better job so far as host than Gillian Anderson did. For starters, she actually seems awake.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites