English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 5 November 2007

Quite the productive weekend

We done got Cicada and Murray hitched this weekend (to each other, as planned, rather than to other people, which would have been awkward). It was all quite nice. Expect stories, for there are several. In fact, Daltongirl and I are going to be guest blogging over at Cicada Song this week while the happy couple are honeymooning in Costa Rica. So you won't even have to wait until they get back to get answers to these and other pressing questions:

What did Cicada's dress look like?

What bit of inspired advice from the temple officiator left Daltongirl and me raising both eyebrows?

Which newlywed couple went AWOL between the ceremony and the reception, causing Jenny and me to get this scene from Arrested Development stuck in our heads?

Who narrowly escaped death in the reception hall kitchen?

Stay tuned.

I believe, though, that the weekend accomplishment which brought me the most pride had nothing to do with the wedding. Sunday morning little Ethan saw me cutting up some brie (leftovers from the reception) and asked for a taste. I gave him a tiny piece, figuring he would hate it just as he hates all other Foods Which Are Not Tikka Masala. Because seriously. This kid will act like you're trying to poison him when you give him kid-friendly items, but take him into the Indian Oven and he'll eat everything on his plate and then lunge for yours in the manner of a rabid stoat.

I gave Ethan the brie, figuring he would spit it out, give me a dirty look, and then head into the guest room to urinate on my pillow. But he didn't. He asked for more, and when I gave him a bigger slice he crammed the thing into his mouth.

This was pretty much the proudest moment of my life. My nephew loves brie. He will grow up and I will invite him to my Pride & Prejudice parties where we will eat the brie together. And possibly I'll get him a French aristocrat costume for next year's Halloween.

Aaaand that was the sound of my father falling off his chair, clutching his left arm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites