English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Tuesday 19 September 2006

I'm not dead yet!

I'm really sorry that I've been AWOL, but I'm living in this very strange limbo world land. The house is full of family coming in and out, we've been running around to Anchorage and Seward, and I have absolutely no schedule. The blogging withdrawal is just as bad as the England withdrawal, really.

So here are a few notes on my reintegration into American society.

I'm wavering between an English and a Southern accent. Yesterday I answered a question by saying, "Yay-ep." Then I stopped dead in my tracks wondering if that sound had just come from me. I thought I was doing okay on the English vocab front--catching myself from saying things like "films" and "adverts" and "bin," but my sister Jen disabused me of that notion. "It's not so much what you say, it's how you say it." So yeah, I'm a mess.

Had pumpkin pie tonight. Heaven. And yes, Blackjazz, we do eat pumpkin pie. And we love it.

Watched House tonight for the first time in a year. Bliss.

Drove to Seward yesterday, which is one of the more beautiful drives in the world. Saw Beluga whales swimming in the bay, admired the turning of the leaves, and walked out to Exit Glacier. I am including pictures so that all of you sweet souls who keep using the words "glacier" and "Timpanogas" in the same sentence can understand why you must stop. Please have some mercy on my poor brains, which tend to leak out my ears when you say such things.


Had sushi today with Jen, Mom, and Banana. (That's what we call my grandmother because 25 years ago I couldn't say "Nana" right. Yeah, I'm a trend-setter. I can't believe she agrees to go out in public with us.) Banana stuck with chicken teriyaki and it was Mom's first foray into sushi. She liked it, so yay! It was all so very good. Because it's Alaska, lots of them incorporate salmon. The one on the left is a California roll with salmon baked on top. During the meal we heard this horrible screeching noise and then realized that it was a cover of "I Will Always Love You" playing over the sound system. It was one of the scarier things I've ever heard.

I've tempted fate long enough by writing. Any second now someone is going to interrupt me, I'm sure. So I hope everyone is well and happy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites