English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Tuesday 10 July 2007

Those zany Mormons

Because it seems like a day at church can't go by without some kind of blogging fodder appearing before me as manna from heaven, here's the latest installment. This time I was at Jen's ward which is made up of lots of richie families who live on the benches of the Provo mountains, overlooking the valley. (Some of them live in the little flat-roofed homes they built back in the 60s, and others live in these huge Tudor-style monstrosities that are being erected right now.)

Anyway. Church. I will report three things to you.

1) This is just a bit of advice for anyone who teaches, public speeches, anything. Please do not admit to the class that you started frantically searching for the lesson manual at 1:00am that morning, having not so much as glanced at it all week. I mean yeah, we all have those moments, but way to plummet your audience's expectations. Also, if you have an idea for an object lesson and you find that you don't have the necessary materials, please just drop it. Please do not hold up the advertisements section from your Sunday paper and say, "Now imagine that this is a blank sheet of paper." Because I would rather be imagining that I'm in a class with a teacher who is actually using the quite-good manual to teach me things that it would benefit me to hear.

2) Because the lesson was on faith and obedience, one good sister raised her hand to let us all know that we should go see Evan Almighty, because it's about faith and obedience and he's this Senator in Washington and everyone thinks he's crazy for building an ark but he's not, see, and she and her family just thought it was so very cute and enjoyable. I'm pretty sure I died inside for about 5 seconds while she was saying that. The heck?? First off, totally not the place for movie reviews, and second, Evan Almighty??? Did that movie turn out to be good or something without me noticing? Because from the previews it looked like a steaming pile.

3) I sat down next to this really, really sweet lady from Korea who is a single mom and has a really cute daughter. The lady (who is maybe in her 40s) remembered me from those few months last fall when I lived with Jenny & Ed, and she asked how things were going. I told her they were good. She leaned over and patted my hand, saying "You need to find a good husband."

Me: "Wow. Yeah, tell me about it."

RRWLfK: "Yes, you do. But you will, though. Don't worry."

Me: "I try not to. I'm sure he's out there somewhere."

RRWLfK: "Yes. And you will, because you are young and pretty . . . "

Me: "That's very kind of you to say."

RRWLfK: "No, it's true! It's all about time. When it's the right time it will happen."

Me: "Let's hope so."

Then I think she might have turned to the lady on her left and told her the same thing. It was kind of awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites