English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Tuesday 25 July 2006

Crazy new ideas in animal husbandry

Today I saw this headline in Yahoo News.

Farmers use bull semen to inseminate cows.


How is this news? I mean, don't bulls seem like the natural choice? If the word "bull" was taken out and replaced with "zebra" or "panther," then that would be something. That, friends, would be a headline.

You can read the story here, if you want. I already know how it works, on account of Amyjane's cattle-rancher Dad told me years ago. Amyjane and I were up visiting her family, whom I love, and something he'd said about artificially inseminating the cows got me thinking. So I asked him how the farmers actually obtain the "stuff" from the bulls in order to freeze and sell it. I asked at the dinner table, because I'm couth like that. He matter-of-factly answered that they use electrical stimulation, mostly. I accepted the answer and went back to my food.

Only then her rancher-in-training brother piped up loudly that sometimes they bring out this huge plastic thing shaped like the back end of a cow and that's when my dinner started not looking so good to me anymore.

The End

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites