English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 12 June 2006

The Look

Remember back in the fall when I started doing the Ceroc dancing? Well I still really like it, and a bunch of us went on Friday and got our grooves on.

The whole thing is just so civil. Everyone asks each other to dance and it's extremely rude to say no to anyone. You meet people that you would never meet otherwise--one time I ended up chatting with some sort of French physicist who was working in Nottingham. There's one guy we call Vest Man--he's short and always wears a black tank top (UK translation: vest) and dances just a leetle bit too close. There are also the middle-aged ladies who dress like extras from Strictly Ballroom. They like to do the Dirty Dancing moves while showing off their underwear.

There's an Australian video clip on Wikipedia that shows what it looks like. Only there are no neon lights at the ones I've gone to, sorry.

On Friday I danced with one man who was about 6'5 and in his 40s. He was a very good leader, but every time he would spin me out he made this . . . face. To make this face at home, simply:

1. Place your hand upon your heart.
2. Lower your chin.
3. Tilt your head to the side.
4. Smoulder meaningfully.

Kinda made it hard for me to keep a straight face, but I managed it.

I'm a bit depressed to think that I'm going to go back to America where no one does this. My sister says I should get it started in Utah, but I wouldn't know how to teach it. Someone needs to, though, because I'm sure it would take off. Watch, I'll go into withdrawal and will have to take up Country Dancing as a substitute. Then before you know it I'll be wearing really huge belt buckles and teasing my hair way out and going to rodeos and thinking that weird little troll of a Kenny Chesney is hot. Pity me, friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites