English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Thursday 10 November 2005

I don't want any of your orange juice

So I just sent the lovely Streets home today, and I'm hoping she's back (relatively) safe in the Belfast. I had such a great time hanging out with her, even if I wasn't the best hostess in the world.

Also I learned something very important: Streets now knows more about my town than I do.

She had some time to prowl about while I was in classes, and every day she would tell me about some treasure she had found.

Streets: Hey, so do you know if True Lover's Walk comes out to the park?

Me: Huh?

Streets: Oh, it's this great little back path I found in the town centre, and I think it must lead out to the park but I didn't have enough time to go explore it, so I wondered if you knew.

(later)

Streets: Do you mind if we swing back around near the movie theatre? I want to take a picture of the stained glass windows in the back.

Me: There's stuff in the back?

(later)

Streets: So you know that western part of campus where you said there wasn't anything interesting? Well I went over there and there's actually this beautiful path that goes through fields and hedgerows and cows and things. So if you could walk it one day and tell me how it is, that would be great.

Me: I hang my head in shame.

Three days in, she'd also found the Thornton's chocolate shop, which I didn't know existed, introduced me to the chocolate chip shortbread at M&S, knew what time the Carillon Tower would be holding its weekly recital, could tell me the ethnic and religious statistics of the town and which minority groups seemed most likely to begin a conflict, and had the bus schedules memorized.

The only thing I can take any credit for was introducing her to Crispy Aromatic Duck when we went out for Chinese food. Only I think I lose points because I had to follow her to the restaurant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites