English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Wednesday 24 August 2005

This will have to be quick

I apologize I cannot give you the attention and well-crafted prose you deserve, but I'm training my replacement today and it turns out that it's hard to blog when someone is spooned up to me at my desk. (It's not the guy's fault, though. He doesn't have a computer, or a desk, or a chair, or a phone yet, on account of I still have all those things. Because I'm not gone yet.)

Anyway, the Utah Shakespearean Festival. Lovely, wonderful, beautiful weather, great companions, so much fun, I don't know why I haven't been going every single year and watching every single play. Saw Stones in His Pockets Monday night, and I can't say enough good about it. The two leads were amazing, especially since they played 15 distinct characters without messing up once. This is where I started to get a crush on Brian Vaughn, just as Streets of Belfast told me I would.


The next day we saw Camelot, and that's when the crush blossomed into love, because Oh. My. Gosh. That boy can sing, too. And he's just so noble and sweet and tortured as King Arthur. I kept wanting to smack Guinevere upside the head for not loving him anymore. (Also, if anyone watches the clip, they totally redid Jenny's hair and it looks much better in the actual production--dark and curly, rather than the Carol Kane frizz you see there. Good choice, hair people, because that mess looked nasty.) Oh! And Streets and I saw Brian Vaughn in the Gifte Shoppe, but I didn't go over and ask to get a picture, because I didn't think of it and I'm not brave and I'm not a groupie. But I did start flicking Streets' arm really hard in the middle of our conversation so that she would turn around and see him.

We went to a costume seminar where the Guy in Charge of Costumes showed us a bunch of them and talked about how they were made, which involved all sorts of magickery. Some of those actresses are dang tiny, by the way. Just looking at the costumes for Dr. Faustus made us want to buy tickets right there and just come home really really late that night, but it didn't work out. This is probably just as well, because it's a scary play and I was the driver. I would probably have a flashback in the middle of the drive and send us all into a gully.

I won't get into the whole cell phone situation at Camelot, you can read Cicada's blog for that. But I would like to say that in addition to the most repulsive display of People Who Need to be Clubbed to Death with their Own Cell Phones that I've ever witnessed, there was also an older woman near me who kept barking out the word "Lancelot" during quiet moments in the play. I don't know why she did this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites