English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 15 August 2005

My China Registry

It seems that I am supposed to be getting one of these, apparently. You remember the recent cat-fight over my mom's china, yes?

Savvymom called me the other night, all excited.

SM: Mom says we can all go register for china and she'll start buying it for us for Christmas and birthdays and stuff!

Me: Huh?

SM: Yeah! And so I'm at the Dillard's homepage looking at Wedgwood and I'm trying to decide which one I want.

Me: Mom wants us to go register? Even if we're not getting married?

SM: Yes! And if you get 5-piece sets for all of the major holidays then you'll have your whole set in just a couple of years! So which ones do you like?

It was all a bit much to take in. There's also still a slight question of whose idea this actually was--Mom's or Savvymom's. I got the impression from Savvymom's that it was Mom's, but now I'm not so sure.

There's also the part where registering for a china pattern seems like a very grown-up and established (read: snobbish and socialitish) thing to be doing. I mean, yes, I like china. And I will want some in my future life. But I don't know if I want all my Christmas and birthday gifts for the next 10 years to be plates.

However, it is a tantalizing idea to be able to pick out stuff like this without having to consult another person (say, a husband or fiance). I mean, sure, I bet most guys would be happy not to have to stand around looking at 6 million identical plates and being asked for their opinions. But there's always the risk of becoming attached to a Man with Opinions. Then it would be nice to just cut that off at the pass. "Oh, gosh, that's already taken care of and I have 5 place settings already. It was my mom. She made me do it. Can't back out now!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have patterns to peruse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites