English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Thursday 7 July 2005

London

Not that London needs my words of sympathy, but I'm so sad about what happened this morning. I was impressed by Tony Blair's statement, which said "We will show by our spirit and dignity and by a quiet and true strength that there is in the British people, that our values will long outlast theirs." It's that quiet strength that is so impressive to me. These terrorists may have struck a blow, but Londoners have overcome much worse than this.

I think our New Yorkers have a similar strength and solidarity, and we've seen that shine through during some horrific circumstances. It's comforting somehow, that at the same time we are confronted with the absolute worst in human nature, we can also see the absolute best.

I overheard a man in my office tell someone on the phone that "The Muslims are at it again" and it infuriated me. I wanted to rush right over and pick a fight, but not a whole lot makes a dent when you're talking to someone in his mid-60s who has Christmas cards from Charlton Heston posted in his cubicle. I know--I've tried. But honestly! Never mind that the Muslim Council has already made a statement of condolence, and that it's likely that Muslims were injured or killed in the attacks.

That's like saying "The Mormons are at it again" to reports of forced marriage and statutory rape in polygamous communities. You're talking about a splinter group, which identifies itself with the main religious body but participates in acts that are abhorrent to and specifically condemned by that body.

My point is, I love London, I hate what has happened, and I'm not blaming the Nation of Islam for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites