English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Friday 12 June 2009

I love me some Friday

Days like Wednesday make me think I should get a new job. Or just leave the world of work entirely.


I don't know if it's the rainy weather, the bad economy, or what, but we were swamped all day long. Children ran and screamed everywhere. The H-B possibly made another appearance, based on the description the PTSDed shelver gave me of the destruction. A toddler slipped out the doors by himself in the melee and they shut behind him (not ON him, mercifully) and he started toddling toward the street before someone saw him and alerted me. Homeless men wandered in and out. People asked me impossible questions like, "I'm looking for that movie that was set during World War II." A woman turned up with a Sheltie and tried to say she was training her to be a service dog. Which, sure, if "training" consists of letting a dog jump up on you repeatedly while you implore her to sit. (On the plus side, am now well versed in the state code regarding service & companion dogs. Quiz me.) I finally escaped and drove home only to find that my shoulders were hiked up around my ears. I had to go set cases of food storage on them to get them to go down again. Then I went to the temple, which was v. soothing.

But then days like yesterday remind me how much I actually enjoy being a librarian. All day long I was the happiness fairy, making everyone's wildest library dreams come true. I found the books and DVDs that appeared to be missing, I signed people up for library cards, I blew adults, teens, and children alike away with the glory that is the summer reading program. I weeded out a few overpacked shelves, winning the love of the beleagured shelvers. I taught teens how to use the online catalog to reserve their books and I introduced a brother and sister to the world of graphic novels. A woman walk up to the desk with her children and said, "Hi, we were hoping you would be here today!"

And then I got to go eat raclette and discuss nursing pads with my dinner group. How could you NOT love a day like that?



(image from Wikipedia's Raclette page)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites