English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Thursday 28 May 2009

You might be a librarian if . . .

Goddessdivine had a hysterical "you might be a teacher if" list up on her blog, so I looked around online to see if there were any "you might be a librarian if" lists. This list was written by Danielle Dreger-Babbitt at Examiner.com. I decided to have a look and see if I feel it's accurate.

You might be a librarian if:

You compulsively reshelve items and straighten shelves when browsing at Barnes and Noble
(I actually do this at other libraries. When visiting Barnes & Noble or Borders, I have to throw all notions of organization, rightness, or sanity out the window before I even walk in. Otherwise I end up in a corner, rocking and drooling between shelves that make no earthly sense.)

You alphabetize your spice rack (and everything else)
(Ooooh, I know what I'm doing this weekend!)

You own more cardigans than shoes
(Not even true. Although I do love me a good cardi.)

You own cats named "Ernest, "Kerouac," or "Flannery."
(Excuse me, cats? Not if I don't want my breath sucked out while I sleep. I am, however, planning to give all my dogs, children, chickens, and baby lambs names from literature.)

You have a secret desire to be on a bookcart drill team
(Wow. Um, now I do.)

You know the Dewey Decimal System by heart
(No, no I don't. And it's really embarassing that I don't. I feel so out of it when I look at librarian t-shirts at Cafepress.)

Nancy Pearl is your idol and you own her action figure
(This was actually Daltongirl's going-away present as I left to go get my MLS)

You go on vacation and visit other libraries
(Especially if it's in Hawaii, and if I think I could maybe kill and hide one of the existing employees and then take their spot)

You don't have a Netflix account and borrow all of your music and movies from the library instead
(Well, yeah. You don't have to be a librarian to know that free = better.)

Your home library has just as many books as a small public library
(Not anymore. I now think of my public library as an extension of my home library. In most cases I don't need to own the book because I know they do. Different rules apply, however, to bathroom reading.)

You were totally blogging and social networking before 2003
(Sorry, wasn't that cool. But then, I wasn't a librarian then, either.)

You read banned books. (And so. should. everyone.)

This has me thinking about what I would put on my list. I think it will deserve its own blog post. Stay tuned . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites