English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Wednesday 27 August 2008

People who thought it was okay to call me on my honeymoon

9:00am Sunday, also known as The Morning After. My phone was in the car, but it turns out my mother called and left a message wanting to know how things were going and if we'd made plans for church.

8:46am Monday, our first morning in San Diego. We were just waking up (and stuff) when I heard my phone buzzing. Figured this must mean someone was dying so I answered it. This was a mistake. It was someone from the HR department at my recently-ended job.

Me: "Hel-lo?"

HR person, brightly: "Hi!"

Me: "Um . . . hey."

HR: "How was the wedding?"

Me: "Fine . . . "

[pause]

HR: "Is this a bad time?"

Well, since I got married all of 45 minutes ago and it's the crack of dawn, YEAH it's a bad time.

Me: "No, it's fine, what's up."

HR: "Well, remember before you left when you called to see if there was any paperwork you needed to fill out or anything and I said no, you were all set? Well it turns out I was forgetting a few things. Completely spaced on that."

Me: "Really."

I will not tell you how NOT a surprise this was to me.

HR: "Yep, so I'll need to ask you a few questions so I can process your last paycheck and get that out to you."

It was a special, special time. And what makes it even more special is that someone else from the office called later in the week and left a message tell me that she was sorry but my paycheck wouldn't be deposited right away because there had been " . . . a lapse . . . " (nice code for "someone screwed up") and it would come the following Monday. Again: No surprise at all.

The other phone conversation I had was with my brother coolboy. He sent me a text that read "Hey, I know you're probably busy but is there a time when I could talk to you?" I immediately assumed that he must be having a Situation so I phoned him right back so that I could offer counsel and emotional support.

CB: Hello?

Me: Hey, it's [Nem], I just got your text. What's up?

CB: Oh hey, yeah, I was just calling to ask you about mutual funds. You have some, right?

Blink. blink blink.

Me: You know what? I think this could wait until I get back.

CB: Oh. Okay then.

Me: Yeah.

Thank you though, to everyone who did not call me. Or who just texted. And I realize that I did make a phone call to Cicada but that's just because I was in an Italian market and needed to know if she wanted anything. She would have done the same for me if she stumbled into a British market on her honeymoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites