English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 26 February 2007

One who bakes

I baked over the weekend. I've decided that this is something I need to do more of until I stop being so intimidated by it. I'm fine with doing things like brownies from a box, but the actual process of bread-baking seems like this mysterious form of alchemy to me. I'm used to just being able to dump the ingredients together and end up with what I want. This whole process of yeast and rising and starters and sweating and whatever else is just this whole new scary world in which I might accidentally burn down my house.

To get the ball rolling I started with banana bread. It doesn't have to rise or anything, but it does require a loaf pan so that's a step in the right direction. It was good that I did this at my sister's because:

1) She could keep an eye on me
2) She for sure had all the ingredients
3) If the whole thing tanked then I knew there would still be other good foods to eat


To my happy surprise the whole thing did not tank and I ended up with a very pretty & very tasty loaf of banana bread. Even Baby "Hunger Strike" Ethan went for it. This is an encouraging beginning, I feel. I shall be quoting Mrs Elton before too long ("I do not profess to be a gourmet, I only know that my friends think so.")

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites