English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Friday 18 December 2009

I might be going to hell

Unless, of course, hell is for people who write crap Christmas songs.

Last month I was out buying Christmas gift supplies when it started to snow. I decided to turn on the Christmas stations in the car in the hopes of enhancing the holiday buzz.

My two choices were a) that song about the kid trying to buy his dying momma shoes for when she "goes to see Jesus" that night, or b) a song, sung by a child, in the form of a letter to "Mister Jesus" pleading for an end to child abuse.

Um . . . yeah. Not so much buzz-enhancing . . .

First off, if the Wikipedia article is to be believed, that Christmas Shoes song took 4 minutes to write. This . . . does not surprise me.

Secondly, a child-abuse awareness song? Really? Was a well-meaning radio station person sitting around one day and thinking, "You know, a lot of people feel really good at Christmas. Let's fix that."? Because I looked up the song and it appears to have been written about 15 years ago and has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas.

Note: Before outraged people start saying that I don't care about child abuse, I DO care about child abuse. I just don't want to hear about it when I am trying to listen to Christmas music. Plus that little girl could barely sing. (Aaaaand here comes the lightning.)

But speaking of people who can't sing, you should check out this Christmas concert clip Sahkmet sent me. It actually will get you feeling the Christmas spirit, in between giggles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites