English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Thursday 27 April 2006

Excuse me while I go put a bomb in my mouth

Today I decided to take a break from the freakishly awful assignment I'm working on. I'm supposed to write 2500 words describing a new branding scheme that I've chosen for the university library. And I have to create a logo of some kind. And I have to figure out what should be the big thing to market to all the library user segments (undergraduates, postgraduates, athletes, etc.). So far I've checked out about 7 books and have found 8 million articles all to do with branding and marketing and academic libraries and students and crap-all else, and yet I still have no idea what I'm doing.

So I decided to take a break and check out library jobs scene. I looked around at the UK jobs on the Internet for a bit and then went over to see what my homeland is up to. I was very organized about the thing, as befits a future librarian-type-person, and created a special bookmarks folder with all these job listings/careers advice pages.

Only then I found this article, which basically says that right now the US is churning out more library-science grads than there are entry-level jobs. And not only that, but people with 3-4 years of experience are also applying for the entry-level jobs, on account of they're crappy cheaters, and of course they're getting them because they have experience and the recent grads don't.

So, you know, a year from now, when I'm living at my parents' house in butt-freezing Alaska and applying for jobs at the Dimond Mall food court so that I can pay back my student loans and continue my anger-management sessions, I hope y'all won't forget about me. I'll even post pictures of moose and frostbite, if that will help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites