English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Monday 13 April 2009

Easter Weekend Highlights

Not only did we get great sunny beautiful weather yesterday, and I got to watch cute kids in their Easter outfits at church, including our favorite Hobbit child in a white hat and gloves, but I'm still pretty much on a high from how well my Easter dinner turned out.

My sister Spitfire and her Special Friend came over for the feast. And for the first time in my roasting life ever, I planned well enough (along with some smiling from the oven gods) so that everything finished cooking at the same time. This never happens for me. Ask anyone I've invited over for dinner ever, and ask them to show you the bite marks on their arms from when they finally became too hungry to wait any longer. The oven gods, unfortunately, were busy somewhere else when my oven started smoking enough to make our normally comatose alarm go off, which startled me so badly that I dropped my half-eaten deviled egg on the carpet. Alarm's lucky I didn't kill it right then. You do NOT mess with my deviled eggs.

This was our menu:

Jamie Oliver's Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary Roast Potatoes (I added carrots and skipped the rosemary. The chicken carcass is in the fridge waiting to be turned into stock.)


Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Broccoli--really is possibly the best broccoli you will ever eat in life

Nem's Deviled Eggs (half garnished with fresh thyme & black pepper, half garnished with nutmeg & sea salt)

Sourdough Bread (the leftovers are waiting to be turned into a goat cheese panini and yes my brow is starting to sweat just thinking about it)

Spitfire's Raspberry Italian Cream Sodas

Spitfire's Chocolate Zucchini Cake (because zuchinni = healthy!)

The table decorations were a bit basic this year. I thought I'd found a nice white clearanced tablecloth for dining room table at Bed, Bath & Beyond earlier in the day, but then when I opened it and put it on the table I started having mental images of really, really crappy polyester temple dresses. It went right back in the bag. Instead contented myself with a vase of pink blossoms stolen from the tree outside my apartment building. The pink flowers + my pink plates = Easter bliss.


The only thing marring the celebration was the starling vs sparrow gang war going on over who gets to nest and poop in my dryer hose. I am not okay with this, especially since I called management last fall and asked them to cover the vent with a grate. They did not do it, and now there are loud bird scuffles in my crinkly, crinkly dryer hose. Expect any time to open the dryer and have a deranged starling fly out into my apartment. Called management and told them they'd better get on it. And they'll know which vent is mine because of all the bird poop stains dripping off it. Grr.

Anyway. What did y'all eat yesterday?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites