English French German Spain Italian Dutch

Russian Brazil Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified
Translate Widget by Google

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Yep, still pregnant

I was not in my best frame of mind this past Sunday at church, as evidenced by the following:

Sunday School teacher, to class: "Can anyone tell me how President Hinckley used to close every General Conference meeting?"

Me, whispering: "Early."

I thought I was whispering, but my whisper might be louder than I think it is. Only whatever. I had a baby butt trying to fight its way out of my side. The teacher was making a point about optimism, and how President Hinckley was not a doom & gloom kind of a guy and so we should follow his example by focusing on the wonderful things we have and which are yet to come. He's absolutely right.

But then, so was I.

Have decided that it's unfortunate moving into a new ward at the end of a pregnancy. Because then that's all anyone really knows about you. "Oh, she's pregnant." And that's all they ask about when they try to make conversation--conversations which have generally gone like this.

Very Sweet Compassionate Service Lady Whose Job It Will Be to Assign People to Come Bring Me Meals After the Birth if I Should Need Them So It's No Wonder That She Wants to Be Able to Keep Tabs on Things: So . . . have they given you a date?

Me: Yep, my due date is December 1st, so it should be sometime around there.

CSL: Oh, so you don't know the actual date?

Me: Well. . . no. Just the due date.

CSL: Oh, I asked because the other two pregnant gals already have their dates scheduled. So wow, I guess you'll just . . . go when you go, huh?

Me: That's . . . the plan, yeah. But you did give me your phone number, so I promise I'll call you when anything happens.

Told GH about this later and he said he'd just had a similar conversation with someone at church:

Elders Quorum Guy: So, when's your wife due?

GH: Around the end of the month, so it could be any day now.

(Note: This was back when GH was confident that this would be a November baby. I guess I've pretty well shown HIM! Hah. Hahahahaha. Sigh . . . . )

EQG: Oh, you don't have it scheduled?

GH: Um . . . no?

Me: Have WHAT scheduled? What is this scheduling everyone is talking about???

Only then I remembered about scheduled C-sections, and scheduled inductions, and all that. Which, apparently, is big here. And I know a lot of people have really good reasons why they have to do things that way. But yeah, there's really no medical reason why I should have anything scheduled. So it's funny to feel like the one weird chick who's just . . . waiting to go into labor. Like a pioneer, or pot-smoking hippie.

Which brings us to this past Sunday where, you'll remember, I was just really not in the mood.

CSL, checking in: Hi, how are you doing?

Me: Still pregnant. Thanks.

CSL: Right . . . so have your doctors given you any predictions? Do they think you'll go soon?

Me: Nope, no predictions, just the due date. Still have your phone number, though, thanks!

Poor lady, I know she was just trying to be nice. Which is why I did not answer her with "Nope, and I didn't even ask them to check. I figure since everything down there already feels like it's going to fall out I'd just do myself a favor and NOT add a speculum to the mix."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites